About the Oakland Camera Club
History of the Oakland Camera Club
The Oakland Camera Club was founded as the Miniature Camera Club of Oakland by Edward H. Towler, organized June 26, 1934 at 8:00pm and incorporated by Assistant District Attorney Homer Buckley on September 28, 1936. The first meeting took place in Room 215, Insurance Building, 14th and Franklin Streets, Oakland.
In 1950, the Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws were changed, and the club has since been named the Oakland Camera Club.
On June 30, 1958, the Oakland Camera Club Club had 269 members — the largest camera club in Northern California. By 1959 this had increased to 275 members.
Through most of its existence, the Oakland Camera Club served a wide range of photographers with a stereo division; a movie division; a School of Photography; a color slide division; and black & white and color divisions.
Today, the stereo division is what remains, and the Oakland Camera Club meets in Albany for the convenience of its East Bay members.
Support the San Francisco/Bay Area’s stereography community, promote the art and science of stereography, and make stereo accessible to photographers of any skill level.
The Oakland Camera Club's Club Handbook, updated October 2013 (pending approval of the Board of Directors), covers offices, officer's duties, resources, and annual schedules. This document is useful to both members and officers.
The Oakland Camera Club' rules and regulations are documented in the Oakland Camera Club Bylaws, updated January 6, 1996. This document is of primary interest to Club officers.
- Barrie H. Bieler, FPSA FN4C
- Bill Wasson, APSA
- Alice Anderson, APSA FN4C
- Robert H. Baker, FPSA AN4C
- E. Charles Cornell, HonN4C FN4C
- Bill W. Field, APSA AN4C
- Blanche L. Henningsen, AN4C
- Melvin G. Henningsen, FPSA HonN4C FN4C FRPS
- Earl W. Henry
- Russell R. Hilton,FN4C
- Jeanie W. Jamison
- Willdene (Dede) Niemand, APSA AN4C
- John J. Sardy
- Valeria Sardy
- Henrietta M. Tinay, FPSA FN4C
- Seton Rochwite, FPSA
|1934-1936||Edward H Tower|
|1937-1938||William s. Armstrong|
|1938-1940||Wilson D. Ellis & Stanley R. Truman|
|1940-1941||Frank W. Day|
|1941-1942||Charles B. Gratiot|
|1942-1943||Thomas G. Bell|
|1943-1944||Gilford H. Soules|
|1944-1945||Robert L. Ingram|
|1945-1946||Irving B. Ellis|
|1946-1947||Samuel C. Woody|
|1947-1948||William J. Wasson & Numa P. Dunne|
|1948-1949||Walter G. Treadwell|
|1949-1950||Merritt H. Brady|
|1950-1951||John O. Siipola|
|1951-1952||Ellis g. Rhode|
|1952-1954||Henry A. Viera|
|1955-1957||Carl B. Wahlund|
|1961-1963||Ray L. Forrest|
|1963-1964||Eva H. Vierra|
|1965-1966||William E. Gabe|
|1966-1967||Ray L. Forrest|
|1967-1969||Russell R. Hilton|
|1969-1970||Charles M. Dane|
|1972-1974||Dorothy B. Harder|
|1974-1976||Janice F. Redden|
|1976-1979||Melvin G. Henningsen|
|1979-1981||Robert A. Wilson|
|1981-1982||John W. Niemand|
|1982-1983||Robert A. Wilson|
|1983-1984||Bill W. Field|
|1984-1985||Edna K. Cundiff|
|1986-1987||Russell R. Hilton|
|1990-1992||Robert H. Baker|
|1993-1994||E. Charles Cornell|
|1996 - March 2000||Barrie H. Bieler|
|April 2000 - December 2004||Jim Johnston|
|January 2005 - May 2006||Barrie H. Bieler|
|June 2006 - December 2010||John Ballou|
|January 2011 - Present||Mat Bergman|
President, Oakland Camera Club